1. What is Alliance Trust?
'Alliance Trust' and 'alliancetrust' are the brand names of Alliance Trust PLC and its subsidiaries. In this document 'Alliance Trust' means Alliance Trust PLC and its subsidiaries.
Alliance Trust PLC is an investment company with investment trust status, listed on the London Stock Exchange and is registered in Scotland No SC1731. The registered office is 8 West Marketgait, Dundee DD1 1QN. Alliance Trust PLC gives no financial or investment advice. If you are considering buying Alliance Trust PLC shares, but are uncertain about how to do it or what it entails, you should consult a qualified adviser such as an independent financial adviser.
Alliance Trust Savings Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Alliance Trust Investments Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
2. Ownership and Responsibilities for this website
This is the website of Alliance Trust PLC and its subsidiary companies. It is intended to be accessed only by those persons resident in the United Kingdom, and does not address any issue relevant to a person resident outside the United Kingdom. This website is not to be accessed by any person who is in any jurisdiction where:
- it is unlawful to do so, or
- it is unlawful to view the content of this website, or
- it is unlawful to make this website or its content available.
You are responsible for ensuring that you have access to a device that is able to access this website. You accept that Alliance Trust is under no obligation to you to overcome any restrictions on your ability to use this website because of the specification of any device, configurations, operating systems, installed software, personal firewall settings or any other matter related to the access by you of this website.
The information contained on this site is for private individuals for their individual, non-commercial use (except to the extent that you have access to Alliance Trust Adviser Centre or are acting as an authorised financial adviser or other investment professional acting in the course of your regulated business). Alliance Trust is not liable for any reliance placed on any of the data contained on this website by any user of this website.
The copyright and all other intellectual property rights in the contents of this website belong to Alliance Trust or Alliance Trust has been granted permission to use the property of third parties, You are not permitted to pass off any of the information displayed on this website as your own, or incorporate this website of any part of it in any other website or domain. You may redistribute information if you are an authorised financial adviser or other investment professional acting in the course of your regulated business and the information redistributed, if part of a document, is in a full unedited format.
The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of the corporate and financial information included on the Company’s website. Legislation in the United Kingdom governing the preparation and dissemination of financial information differs from legislation in other jurisdictions.
2.1 What steps has Alliance Trust taken to ensure the information in this website is accurate?
Alliance Trust has taken considerable care to ensure that the information in this website is accurate, as at the date of publication. Each of Alliance Trust Savings Limited and Alliance Trust Investments Limited provide the content for their own area of the website and each of them is responsible for the content of their own area. However, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is given as to its completeness and accuracy. Nothing in this information or elsewhere in this website shall exclude, restrict or limit our duties and liabilities under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 or the Financial Services Act 2012 or any other requirements we are bound to comply with.
Any research or analysis contained in this website has been procured by Alliance Trust for its own use and may be acted on in that connection. It is provided to you only incidentally, and any opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
2.2 Links to other Websites
This website contains links to other websites. Using links to other sites is at your own risk. Alliance Trust is not responsible for the data protection policies of, nor does it endorse the content of, sites which are linked or can be accessed from this site or external sites that link with this site.
Cookies are text files sent from a web server to an individual computer to enable the browser to 'remember' certain information.
We do not gather any personal information about you or your computer by using these cookies. You can disable cookies generally by changing the relevant settings on your browser. However, please note that you will not be able to access some parts of the site if cookies are disabled on your computer.
3. Registered Office of Alliance Trust PLC, Alliance Trust Savings Limited and Alliance Trust Investments Limited
Alliance Trust PLC,
8 West Marketgait
Dundee DD1 1QN
Company Registration Number SC1731
Alliance Trust Savings Limited,
PO Box 164,
8 West Marketgait
Dundee DD1 9YP
Company Registration Number SC98767
Alliance Trust Investments Limited,
8 West Marketgait
Dundee DD1 1QN
Company Registration Number SC 330862
4. Anti-money laundering
The regulated subsidiaries of Alliance Trust must adhere to anti-money laundering legislation. This requires us to carry out identity verification checks. If we cannot adequately verify your, or your client's, identification in accordance with the legislation, we reserve the right to refuse the investment. If the funds are invested prior to the identity checks being carried out, we will not release the proceeds until we receive adequate verification of your, or your client's, identity.
The information on Alliance Trust Savings Limited and Alliance Trust Investments Limited and their products and services in this website is directed at and intended for use only by UK residents. It is not intended for use by any other person and in particular residents of the United States of America.
5. Telephone Security
For security, compliance monitoring and training purposes calls may be recorded.
6. Regulated Subsidiaries
6.1. ISAs, Investment Plans and Pensions from Alliance Trust Savings Limited
Alliance Trust's retail investment products and services and self select investment dealing services products are offered through the subsidiary Alliance Trust Savings Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority or Alliance Trust Savings Limited's subsidiaries. You ought to be resident in the United Kingdom and have read and understood the information contained in any application form, and the warnings in section 7 before selecting these plans and services.
6.2. Alliance Trust Investments Limited
Alliance Trust Investments Limited is the Authorised Corporate Director and Operator of the Alliance Trust Investment Funds ICVC and the Alliance Trust Sustainable Future ICVC, both Open-Ended Investment Companies.
Alliance Trust Investments Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and is entered on the FCA Register under the Firm Reference Number 479764. The Financial Conduct Authority may be contacted at:
25 The North Colonnade
London, E14 5HS.
6.3. Regulatory Information
It is important that you read and understand this page before proceeding with any application for a product from Alliance Trust Savings Limited or Alliance Trust Investments Limited, as it provides legal and regulatory information relevant to any investment in the products referred to in this website.
The information contained in this website does not constitute an offer of, or an invitation to apply for, securities in any jurisdiction where:
- such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or
- in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so, or
- to whom it is unlawful to make such an offer or invitation.
The information has been issued and approved by Alliance Trust Savings Limited or Alliance Trust Investments Limited (as appropriate) unless it is owned and provided by a third party and does not in any way constitute investment, tax, legal or other advice. Alliance Trust Savings Limited and Alliance Trust Investments Limited do not give investment advice and all their plans and products are provided on a direct offer transaction basis only. If you are unsure whether any of Alliance Trust's plans or products are suitable for you, please consult your financial or other professional adviser.
Before investing in any Alliance Trust plan or product you should read the Handbook and Key Features Document (for Alliance Trust Savings Limited plans) or Prospectus, relevant Key Investor Information Document and Supplementary Information Document (for Alliance Trust Investments Limited products). Investment in any of the Alliance Trust plans and products should only be made on the basis of the offer documents (e.g. Key Features Document, Prospectus, Key Investor Information Documents, Supplementary Information Document or other terms and conditions).
7. Risk Warnings
7.1. Investments in or through Alliance Trust, its plans and products
Investors should be aware of the following risk factors when considering an investment in Alliance Trust shares or in any investments available through Alliance Trust Savings Limited or Alliance Trust Investments Limited:
- Past performance is not a guide to future performance.
- The value of investments and the income from them may go down as well as up and are not guaranteed.
- You may not get back the amount you invested.
- For foreign currency denominated investments, changes in the rates of exchange between currencies may cause your investment and any income to go down or up.
- Legislation, taxation, and HM Revenue and Customs practice which may change without notice. In particular, the current taxation levels, bases and reliefs may depend on individual circumstances and could be changed at any time in the future.
- Specific investments may have additional risks. You must read and ensure that you understand all plan documentation. Particular reference should be made to the further information and product specific risk factors detailed in the brochures and Key Investor Information Documents, Supplementary Information Document, Key Features Documents (KFD) or Prospectus (as appropriate) relating to the products.
- You are responsible for selecting and managing the investments and the investment risks to which you are exposed.
- You should not use a plan to achieve a target benefit. Even where contributions are maintained there is no guarantee that a target benefit will be met.
- Investments in a particular company shares / bonds (securities), or an investment trust savings scheme can be high risk and may be subject to sudden and large falls in value and you could get back nothing at all.
- Alliance Trust charges and/or expenses may increase in the future.
- Inflation can erode the real value of capital.
- There is an extra risk of losing money when shares are bought in some smaller companies including penny shares. There is a big difference between the buying and selling price of these shares. If they have to be sold immediately, you may get back much less than you paid for them. The price may change quickly, and may go down as well as up.
7.2. Investment in Alliance Trust PLC
Alliance Trust PLC does not give investment advice and nothing contained on the Alliance Trust Investor Relations section of this website is, or is intended to be, a recommendation to buy Alliance Trust PLC shares, or an offer or inducement to do so. Investors, when considering an investment in Alliance Trust PLC, should be aware of the following risk factors in addition to those listed in 7.1 above:
- An investment in Alliance Trust is an equity investment and there are no guarantees.
- Investment trusts may borrow to finance further investment (gearing). The use of gearing is likely to lead to volatility in the Net Asset Value (NAV) meaning that a relatively small movement, down or up, in the value of a trust’s assets will result in a magnified movement, in the same direction, of that NAV. This may mean that you could get back nothing at all.
- Investment trusts can make use of derivatives, if used for speculative purposes there would be a high risk of loss, due to the highly volatile nature of such investments.
- The price of shares in Alliance Trust will be affected by the supply and demand for them on the London Stock Exchange and may not represent the underlying value of the assets of Alliance Trust. For these reasons, investors may not get back the amount originally invested. The price generally stands below the net asset value of the Trust ('at a discount') but it may also stand above it ('at a premium') The growth of your capital will depend upon the movement of the discount/premium over the period you own the shares, as well as the growth of the assets of Alliance Trust.
- Investment trust expenses reduce the Trust's income. The risk is that if the income generated by the portfolio is low, expenses may exceed the total income received, so the Trust would not pay a dividend and the capital value would be reduced. When expenses are charged to capital as a matter of policy, this will reduce the capital value of the Trust.
Alliance Trust is unable to give specific tax advice.
7.4. Interest rates
Interest rate changes will affect the capital value of the investment. There is likely to be a negative effect on capital in the event of rises in long-term interest rates.